Motor Vehicle Registration

General Information
We renew motor vehicle tabs, transfer and register Minnesota vehicles and 1st time title or registration of out-of-state vehicles.

If you need to renew your tabs and you did not receive your prebill, come in with your plate number and ID, we will be able to process the transaction for you.

When transferring a title, bring in the title with lien release (if there is a lien holder showing on the title) and the odometer reading. If there are two sellers listed on the title, make sure both parties have signed off.
All-terrain Vehicle (ATV) License & Registration
Owner provides make, model, year, serial number, engine size (HP or cubic centimeters), and dry weight and his/her drivers license and signature.

Valid for lifetime or until ATV changes ownership
Public ATV
Valid for 3 years
Renewal public ATV
Valid for 3 years
Motor Vehicle-Registration from Out-of-State
  • When someone moves to Minnesota, they must submit foreign state title, or current registration if the title is unavailable.
  • Applicants must provide the current odometer reading and drivers license or state issued identification card. If there is a lien against the vehicle, the owner must provide the name and complete address of the lender, as well as the date of the loan.
  • The owner's signature is required on the Minnesota title application.
Snowmobile License & Registration
  • Fee for snowmobile is $78.50, that includes the trail sticker. License is valid for three years.
  • Owner needs to provide make, model year, serial number, engine size, and sales receipt that shows proof of sales tax paid, and your current driver's license. Private sales do not require sales tax.
  • Transfer of ownership is obtained by bringing the current registration from the previous owner and paying a fee of $13.50.
Transfer Vehicle Ownership
This is not all inclusive as to the purchase or transfer of vehicles.
  • Minnesota title is used to transfer a vehicle. If the title cannot be located, the seller must apply for a duplicate.
  • The mileage as it appears on the odometer must be written on the title.
  • Title will show current owner(s) name(s). All those whose name(s) appear(s) as owner(s) must sign as seller(s).
  • If a lien holder is listed (bank, credit union or individual from whom money was borrowed), the lien holder must sign title or lien card releasing their interest in the vehicle.
  • Transfer of ownership from the seller to the buyer is not finished until the completed title is turned in and the excise tax and related fees are paid.
  • For unique situations or questions on vehicle transfers please visit or contact us at 320-693-5346.
Purchaser(s) duties:
  • Print full name(s), address, date(s) of birth, drivers license number(s) and sign title.
  • If no lien, check "None." If money was borrowed to purchase, the complete name and address of the lien holder(s), and the date of the lien must be printed on the title.
  • Vehicle transfers from dealership to private individual(s) are usually handled by the dealership. However, out of state purchases of new vehicles require the Manufactured Statement of Origin (MSO) signed by the dealer with the individual(s) name(s) listed as purchaser(s).
  • All transfers and new vehicles must be transferred within 10 days of purchase.
Watercraft License & Registration
  • Fee for watercraft vary depending on size and type from $18 to $103.50 every 3 years.
  • The owner provides length, manufacturer, type of hull material (wood, metal, or plastic), type of propulsion, model, year, serial or hull identification number (HIN) and have a sales receipt that shows proof of sales tax paid.
  • Transfer of ownership is obtained by bringing the current registration from the previous owner and pay a fee of $17 for a titled watercraft and $13 for an untitled watercraft. Titles are required on watercraft over 16 feet and newer than 1980.