This is the office of the Highway Engineer. The County Board of Commissioners appoints the Engineer to a 4-year term. The Highway Engineer is required by state law to be a licensed professional engineer with a 4-year Bachelor of Science degree and 4 years of internship before becoming licensed.
The Highway department covers a lot of different areas including the following:
- Construction ( surveys, designs, bids and inspections)
- Maintenance (blading surface, plowing snow, mowing ditches, road signs)
- Repairs (culverts and tiles, ditch washouts, frost boils, pavement repair)
- Bridges: Surveys, design, construction, and obtaining special funding and maintenance
- County Drainage Ditches: Maintenance and construction